Veteran Improved Pension
  1. Home
  2.  → Veteran Improved Pension

A Skilled Attorney Representing You In VA Aid And Attendance Pension Issues

Have you overlooked a little-known VA benefits for veterans and the spouse of a deceased veteran? Unfortunately, too many people in Louisiana do not pursue this unknown VA benefit because they believe they must have a service-connected injury to qualify. This is simply not the case. Most former armed service veterans and their widows are eligible to receive an “improved pension” that the VA calls Aid and Attendance.

Aid and Attendance benefits can be used to pay for help with everyday activities such as eating, bathing, dressing, undressing and medication dosing at home. Aid and Attendance benefits can also be used to help people who are in a nursing home or an assisted living facility. If you have questions and need direction, we can provide it. With more than 40 years of legal experience, Walker Law Group, L.L.C., has the knowledge to assist you in securing VA Aid and Attendance benefits. H. Gregory Walker Jr. is a lifelong resident of Central Louisiana. He is devoted to clients and determined to help clients find solutions.

According to government statistics, only one-third of elderly veterans receive long-term care benefits they’re entitled to. Are you among this group? Are you or a family member missing out on nearly $2,000 a month to help with everyday activities? Remember, the required disability for VA Aid and Attendance does not have to be tied to service-related injuries.

As an understanding, compassionate and determined lawyer, Mr. Walker helps veterans qualify for VA Aid and Attendance benefits. He will help you:

  • Determine if you are eligible to receive Aid and Attendance benefits and help you apply to receive these benefits.
  • Navigate through the complicated VA system and overcome your frustration in dealing with a process that is often complicated and intimidating.

To help you determine whether you are missing out on the VA benefits you deserve, we offer a free awareness guide that details the eligibility process and how to submit your claim to your regional VA office. Mr. Walker understands the sacrifices you have made for our country and wants to help you.

Answering Your Questions; Looking Out For You

Q: What is the VA Improved Pension Program?

A: The VA Improved Pension was established to provide veterans, their spouses, widows and widowers who are in financial need with supplemental income. It is designed to assure a level of income above the minimum subsistence levels, allowing veterans and their survivors to live out their lives in dignity and afford basic necessities.

Q: What are the Basic Criteria to Qualify?

A: Aid & Attendance Requirements

  • Veteran must have served at least 1 day during a combat period
  • Veteran must have served at least 90 days of active duty
  • Veteran received a better than dishonorable discharge
  • Claimant is over the age of 65 or permanently or totally disabled
  • Claimant is a surviving spouse of a qualified veteran and did not remarry
  • Claimant needs assistance with daily living requirements
  • Claimant’s monthly medical expenses exceed their monthly income

Q: Is there an income limit?

A: No! Many veterans are incorrectly told that the VA Improved Pension is based on income.  It is not. It is needs based. Once the applicant deducts their qualified un-reimbursed medical expenses and assisted living care from their income, many will qualify that might not have without those deductions. There is no time limit to apply for the pension but determining if you meet the criteria to qualify can be a complex process. Mr. Walker and his team are ready to help you determine if you qualify for this additional income to help with expenses.

Q: What About Taxes?

A: This cash benefit is paid monthly and is tax-free and can be used for any purpose such as paying for home care, home modifications like stair-lifts or walk-in tubs, or assisted living.

Q: Will my children have to pay it back?

A: No! Unlike Medicaid long term care benefits, there is no requirement for payback or estate recovery from your heirs.

Q: What are the combat periods during which the veteran must have served one day?

A: The combat periods are:

  • May 9,1916 through April 5, 1917 – Mexican Border Period (Veterans who served in Mexico, the borders of Mexico, or adjacent waters)
  • April 6, 1917 through November 11, 1918 – World War I
  • December 7, 1941 through December 31, 1946 – World War II
  • June 27, 1950 through January 31, 1955 – Korean Conflict
  • February 28, 1961 through May 7, 1975 – Vietnam Era (The above dates are for veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam. If they didn’t, the valid dates are August 5,1964 through May 7, 1975.)
  • August 2, 1990 through currently undetermined – Gulf War

Q: Who Can Best Assist with VA Pension Planning?

A: It is recommended that only a creditable and experienced elder law attorney be used for VA pension planning, and for good reason. Knowing the VA pension process is a big task in itself, but equally important is knowing how the VA pension can effect a senior’s Medicaid and Medicare benefits, income tax, inheritance tax, and other financial factors. Mr. Walker is one of a few VA-accredited attorneys in Louisiana recognized by the VA as legally authorized and capable of assisting claimants in pursuit of benefits before the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Call A Caring Attorney Who Listens

Established in 1976, Walker Law Group, L.L.C., in Alexandria, Louisiana, has been a dependable ally for veterans and their widows seeking to exercise their right to receive assistance through the veteran Aid and Attendance special pension. Do not miss out on Mr. Walker’s educational seminars related to this special VA benefit. For an initial, no-obligation consultation, please contact us online or by calling 318-445-4516.